Greetings and Welcome to The Family Recipe Place.
Today's recipe is an old fashioned recipe that was created by my Great Grandfather Carmen.
May he rest in peace.
He always put bologna in Caponata.
Of course, the original authentic way for Sicilian eggplant appetizer is without bologna.
If you want to stick to tradition, omit it. This is how we love it and it is delicious.
So Simple To Make
When I make this recipe, it takes me back to being a child and remembering the smell coming from the kitchen as he fried his bologna and stirred his Caponata.
It is now a tradition in my home that I now make for my family. Watching my kids enjoy it as much as I did back then, always puts a smile on my face.
I hope you will give this recipe a try and that you enjoy it as much as I did then and still do today.
Sicilian Eggplant Appetizer Caponata
What you'll need:
- Eggplant - 1/2 of the whole eggplant chopped
- 1 can Tomato Paste
- Celery - 1 Stalk
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 2 Tbsps.
- Capers - 1 Tbsp.
- Salt, pepper - Pinch or To taste
- Granulated Garlic - 1 Tsp. or To taste
- Green Olives - Sliced 1/4 Cup
- Onion - Chopped 1/4 Cup
- 1 Package of your Favorite Bologna - Sliced into small squares
1. Put olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Olive oil burns easily so watch closely.
2. Add bologna and cook until it slightly browned and slightly crisp.
3. Add your Caponata mix and blend with bologna. Cook until Caponata is hot and tender.
4. Serve as a sandwich on your favorite bread. It is delicious served on fresh Italian bread.